Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Winning the Mental Game

Many top athletes will tell you the majority of sports is mental. I think with para dressage the case is especially true. Not only are you working to control every footfall of the horse's movement, and as a para dressage rider I also have to fight against my own bodies natural inclination's to be able to give proper signals to my horses.  We owe it to our horses to maintain a good routine and training program so our horses are fit and relaxed so they can put forth their best performance. These are some of the tools I use to be in the best metal fitness for competition:

* Make sure the team around me is the best possible. The first step to a good competition is to be well prepared. That means I have a vet, farrier, and auxiliary help  such as massage therapist, acupuncture, and chiropractic. Most importantly there has to be a trainer that works well for me and my horse. 

*Make sure my equipment fits well and I have the adaptations I need. For example, I have a Trilogy Verago I love that really improves my position, and I work with a fitter to maintain it for my horse. I'm also always experimenting with different adaptations to see what can improve my riding while still staying safe. My current favorite piece of adaptive equipment are my Ontyte Magnetic Stirrups. It allows my weak left leg to stay stable in the iron, while still releasing if I need it to.

*Keeping myself in the best condition possible. This means in addition to riding I do cardio, weight training and pilates with myofacial release. I also make sure I keep my medications up to date, so I can focus and work on keeping my muscles loose.

*Visualization. I work on sports psychology techniques to try to do some once a week. I visualize my rides in detail, not just the perfect ride, but also rides with common difficulties and the solutions to them. The theory is that if you visualize the things that might go wrong, if they do you have a memory of how to fix it and you will react quickly. 

* Know the surroundings. That means practicing in a 20 x 40 ring, so you are confident in your geometry and the movements of the tests. I also had the opportunity to visit Jim Brandon Equestrian Center, this allowed me to become familiar with the grounds so it will be less imposing when I go there to actually show. 

*Keeping confidence up! Something that Robert Dover said in his clinic for para riders. You have to go into every test like you have already won it. Also regardless of the score you do receive, you have to remember how you feel when you leave the arena, and don't let those let little numbers on your score sheet dominate your emotions, this is easier said than done of course. 

What tips do you have to win the mental game of horse showing?



1 comment:

  1. You have an award at my blog!
    http://overanxioushorseowner.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete